Wednesday, 17 December 2008

Christmas Market

LVIG held its first ever Ladywell Christmas market on Saturday which was a great success in spite of terrible weather. Hundreds of local residents turned up throughout the day to stock up on Christmas presents and food, eat mince pies and listen to Christmas Carols.

LVIG will be taking a break over December but we will be having our next meeting in January.

From everyone at LVIG have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Tuesday, 25 November 2008

LINC project

Ladywell Assembly is taking part in an exciting new project aimed at helping communities to reduce their impact on the environment and climate change. It is hoped that the project will also provide a boost to community action and the local economy. There will be a consultation meeting held on 8th January at Prendergast School (in the New Science Block on Adelaide Avenue), from 7pm-9pm, which will be open to everyone who lives, works and studies in the Ladywell ward. To find out if you do, visit Lewisham Council website ( and enter your postcode into the page about ‘your councillor’. The consultation meeting will be facilitated by Impetus Consulting Ltd, a south London environmental consultancy. There will be a mix of presentations and discussions designed to draw out the environmental needs and concerns of the community. These will be used to develop an action plan for the community. The LINC Team will then help local people deliver this plan. Further information is available from Tony Rich, E:

Sunday, 23 November 2008

Next Christmas market meeting 8pm Tuesday 25th Nov @ 200 Adelaide Avenue

We'll be talking stalls, entertainment and tying up loose ends. Hope to see you there!

Friday, 14 November 2008

Next general meeting. Wednesday, 19th November, at the St Mary's Centre - 7:30pm

The next general meeting is on the 19th November at 7:30pm at the St Mary's Centre on Ladywell Road.

This meeting is open to the public.


1. Apologies for Absence.

2. Welcome to Malcolm Smith, Executive Director for Regeneration, Lewisham Council

3. Minutes of the Ordinary Committee Meeting held on 15th October 2008

4. Local Businesses get –together 12th November – feedback

5. Streetscape Group Report (Robert)

6. Malcolm Smith

7. Localities Fund update (Tony Rich)

8. Christmas Market update (Eleanor, Cynthia)

9. Publicity round up (Lara)

10. Any Other Business

Sunday, 26 October 2008

Next Christmas Market meeting Tuesday 28th October

8pm @ 200 Adelaide Avenue

We need to drum up ideas for fundraising, think about local crafts-people who may want to book a stall and talk about rallying the troops to help out on the day. We need volunteers to marshall pedestrians, litter pick and man fundraising stall(s).

Hope to see you there and share with you how the plans are coming along.

Tuesday, 7 October 2008

Next general meeting - Wednesday 15th October - 8pm at the Tabernacle

The next scheduled meeting of LVIG is at the Tabernacle on Algernon Road on Wednesday 15th October at 8pm.

The next Christmas Market meeting will start at 7.30pm, before the general meeting. Make an evening of it and come to both meetings!

Agenda for general meeting:

This meeting is open to the public

1. Apologies for Absence

2. Minutes of the Ordinary Committee Meeting held on 17th September 2008

3. Ladywell Assembly and the Localities Fund

4. Playtower Group – update (Tony Rich)

5. Streetscape Group – update (Robert)

6. Linking with local businesses - update (John, Em)

7. Christmas Market (Eleanor)

8. Publicity round up (Lara)

9. Any Other Business

Thursday, 2 October 2008

Minutes from meeting held on 17th September

Go to the comments for this post and you will find the minutes from the meeting on the 17th September.

Tuesday, 30 September 2008

Love Lewisham (especially Ladywell).

Lewisham council currently has a website to which you can report issues in the borough that you think need fixing. The sort of thing that Love Lewisham would appear to be aimed at are flytipping, uneven pavements and overflowing bins - anything which could be considered to be the council's responsibility with regards to the local environment.

"You can send us an email to report an issue.
Create an email addressed to and attach a picture of an environmental issue to it.
Enter the location of the issue in the subject part of the message
Enter any other information you think would be useful n the text part of the message. If you would like to be notified by Email when the issue has been dealt with then enter the following text anywhere in the message EMAILYES.
Send it to"

This could be a great way for us to get problems sorted out in the area and to keep a track of the progress in rectifying these issues.

Monday, 22 September 2008

Localities Fund ideas

Every year Lewisham council allocates £10,000 to each ward to be spent on a variety (or one larger) of schemes from the Localities Fund. In addition to this fund there will be an opportunity to bid for the Mayor's fund.

The council website says that the funding is made available for the purpose of the following:
  • The engagement of local residents to deliver improvements in their ward via the assembly process and other methods.
  • Action or activity which directly benefit the local neighbourhood.
  • Action or activity that will make a visible difference.
  • Physical, sustainable improvement(s) to the neighbourhood.
  • ‘One off’ costs for personnel who will be directly responsible for delivering the improvement, i.e. artists. Funding can not be used to employ staff.
  • An improvement that can be delivered by 31 March 2009.
  • The money can be added to funding that has already been identified for a particular activity.

It would be a good idea for local residents of Ladywell to discuss what they might like to see done with the money. Members of LVIG will be going to the next Ladywell Assembly (8th October) meeting to put popular ideas generated here forward to the assembly.

Hopefully we will all be able to come up with some fantastic ideas between now and the meeting!

Wednesday, 10 September 2008

Tuesday, 9 September 2008

Open discussions

Until we have fathomed out how to keep an 'open' discussion running at the top of the blog (any tecchies out there?!), please feel free to post your more general comments here and start chatting with local residents about all things Ladywell.
Sian Knight the Chair of Tea Leaf Arts has emailed to let us know that after much hard work they have finally signed the lease for the community space in the new Tea Factory development on Endwell Road. This means that there is a new community arts space in the area and to celebrate they are holding an open day on the 20th September from 2-6pm (Tea and Cake included!).

Artists, potential volunteers and local residents are all welcome.

To find out more about the history of the development (and its future) please visit their website.

Monday, 8 September 2008

Christmas Market meeting - 9 September - REVISED

If anyone else would like to attend this meeting could they please email us at The venue for the meeting has been moved to 200 Adelaide Avenue at 8pm.

Thursday, 4 September 2008

Christmas Market meeting - 9 September

At our last public meeting in July we agreed that we would like to hold a Christmas Market in Ladywell this year. In order to make that happen we need to get cracking on planning it as soon as possible as, now the weather has signalled the arrival of autumn, we will be hurtling our way towards Christmas before we know it!

We'd like to hold an informal meeting to kick off the planning process and would really welcome as much support as possible, as there will be much to do in the interim. If you'd like to come and share your ideas or volunteer to assist with the organisation, we'd be very grateful for all the help we can get.

We will be meeting at: Mason's on Tuesday 9th September at 8pm

Please email us at, or post a comment below, to let us know if you are coming so we can reserve a big enough table.

We hope to see you there!

Monday, 28 July 2008

Minutes from our latest meeting are here!

The minutes of the latest Ordinary Meeting of the Committee, held at 7.30pm on 16 July 2008, are now available here - just click on 'comments' below

Tuesday, 8 July 2008

Ordinary Committee Meeting - this week - 16 July 2008

Agenda for Ordinary Committee Meeting scheduled for Wednesday 16 July 2008, 7.30pm at St Mary’s Centre, Ladywell Road, London SE13.

1. Apologies for Absence

2. Notes of the Annual General Meeting held on 5 June (for information only as these have to be approved at next year's AGM)

3. Feedback from Street Scene walkabout (Tony Rich and Petra Reekers)
4. Feedback from Hilly Fields Fair (general discussion)

5. Town Centre Manager (general discussion)
· Update on Town Centre Manager petition
· Feedback from Town Centre Manager walkabout (Tony Rich, Petra Reekers, Robert Sheppard, Pat Mahoney)

6. Proposed working groups - co-ordination, membership, purpose/remit, timeframes and arrangements for reporting back to Committee for decision (general discussion with a view to reaching consensus)

7. Joining Voluntary Action Lewisham (for decision)

8. Events
· Dressington Avenue Fete 19 July (Decision on whether the Group should have a stall?)
· Proposed Ladywell events - Beer Festival and Christmas Market (for discussion)

9. Branding (Lara and Eleanor to bring forward proposals)

10. Website revamp (Lara, Eleanor and Pete to bring forward proposals)

11. Any Other Business

Please note that this meeting is open to the public

Wednesday, 11 June 2008

Report from meeting 5/6/2008

The meeting on 5 June was very well attended - just like our first meeting - so thank you to everyone who came along.

This meeting was important because we agreed the constitution as well as key officers, who can take the group forward. A full account of the meeting is listed as a comment to this post (click on 'comments' below)

Friday, 6 June 2008

Petition for Town Centre Manager for Ladywell Village.

As those of you who were at the meeting we held on the 5th June will know we have started a petition to get Ladywell Village the time of a Town Centre manager. This is something that many other areas of a comparable size to Ladywell Village that are classified as Neighbourhood Shopping Centres already have (e.g. Brockley Cross, Hither Green and Honor Oak) and we think that it would greatly benefit Ladywell too. It was cited as one of the key factors that lead to the improvements around Brockley Station. If you didn't get a chance to sign the petition last night or weren't at the meeting and agree with us then please follow this link and sign the petition online:

Tuesday, 6 May 2008

A Group is formed

As Ladywell residents, we hope you will by now have either seen a poster or had a flyer drop through your door to tell you about the next stage of the Ladywell Village Improvement Group.

The current informal 'committee', made up of people who wanted to repeat the success seen in Brockley, would like to formalise the Group and get members on board, to agree on a Constitution and to vote on formal Committee Members. We were delighted with the turn out for the meeting held earlier in the year and want to encourage everyone from Ladywell Village to get on board.

We really want people who "don't normally do thing sort of thing" to join in - and so we are holding a meeting on Thursday 5 June at the St Mary's Centre, Ladywell Road at 7.30pm.

At the meeting the Constitution (below) will be formalised and every member of LVIG vote on the Committee. All you need to do to join LVIG is turn up!

Please click on the 'comments' link below to see the full Constitution.

Monday, 17 March 2008

Ladywell Village Action Group springs in to action

On a damp and dreary Thursday night last week, a staggering 62 people came along to the inaugural Ladywell Village Action Group meeting.

Topics discussed included the best and worst things about Ladywell, as well as short, medium and long term aims for the group. We have collated together contact details for those who attended and will also be publishing a set of minutes, complete with ideas from the meeting.